On a boat, passengers are catered to. Their main purpose is to arrive at the destination with as little effort as possible. They are involved in activities, but not wholly engaged in the journey. Crew, on the other hand, are responsible for the entire journey. They are engrossed in the activities of the ship. In fact, without their individual and collaborative effort, the passage could not happen. Crew reach the same destination as their passengers, but their experience is significantly richer.
At Riverview we believe in and practice Crew. Through Crew we will continue to foster a space where students, staff, and community feel safe, have a sense of belonging and feel connected. In order to make this happen, we must all work together.
We would like to welcome the following people to our RVE Crew!!
- Julie Burns- 5th grade teacher
- Kegan McCardell- SPED Para
- Brie Branch-Boyle- Preschool Teacher
- Beth Anne McClendon- Preschool Teacher
- JoAnne Hibbard- Restorative Justice and Social Emotional Coach
- Serra Meyer- Health Service Provider
- David Theobald- Daytime custodian
- Anna Lederer- Preschool Para
- Joslyn Wyatt- SPED Para
Please know that we are confident in the updated Durango Schools Covid mitigation policies and practices to ensure that we will be able to run an uninterrupted school year. Even though we may not share the same opinions and beliefs, we all want what is best for our children. We want to thank you for your kindness, grace and support for our students and staff.
- At this time, by Durango School Board authorization, masks are required by all persons, excepting those with a medical exemption, while inside the school building.
- Masks are optional while outside so we anticipate lots of outdoor learning experiences.
- Self Certification - The self-certification process involves parents recording their child’s temperature at home and reporting if they are experiencing symptoms. All students and staff will be screened daily for a fever and COVID related symptoms through at home self-certification or on-site screening prior to entering the building.
- No outside visitors are allowed in the elementary school buildings as of now. (We miss our parent volunteers like CRAZY!)
- If we have a positive COVID case, San Juan Basin Health will guide us to decide if that case is a low or high risk situation and will notify families if a quarantine is needed. Please don’t send your children sick to school. Thank you.
- We will continue to use the 3 W’s
- Wash Hands
- Watch distance when possible
- Wear a mask
Lunch - Lunch at Riverview will be served in the cafeteria this year however, we will only have one grade level in there at time. Our amazing PTO purchased picnic tables for an outdoor eating space for our students. This will allow us to space out the students while eating. We will also be requiring each class to sit with each other so we will not be mixing cohorts during lunch. We are lucky that our cafeteria has windows for great air ventilation as well.
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All - For a second year, through federal funding, we will be able to offer free breakfast and lunch for all students.
While this program is free this year, accurate numbers of need support our federal funding for food and nutrition. If you feel your child might qualify please complete a Free/Reduced Lunch application.
- 7:45am - Students begin arriving and outdoor supervision begins (Students will line up in their classes by designated doors.
- 7:50am - Students enter classrooms with teachers through designated doors
- 7:55am - Doors close, students who are tardy enter through front door and check in at office
- 2:55pm - Students are dismissed- Teachers will let families know where to meet them on the field. Students not picked up by 3:05 will report to the office and the parent/guardian will need to come to the front doors.
- 4:00pm - Office closes
Doors: We will all enter through different doors each morning. Meet your teacher at the following door...
- PreK - parents will bring students to the classroom doors by entering through the preschool playground gate.
- Kindergarten (Classroom Doors)
Herman - Door 4
Kirkpatrick - Door 5
Johnson - Door 6
Duvall - Door 7
- 1st Grade - Door 3
- 2nd Grade - Door 8 (Ms. Kassay will be at Door 9)
- 3rd Grade - Door 9
- 4th Grade - Front doors
- 5th Grade - Door 10
And there's more. If you are not receiving the monthly newsletter by email, please contact the school office at 970-247-3862 option 4.
Sincerely, Mrs. Neiman, Principal, and Mr. Tucker, AP